Tag Archives: 1910s

Work(s) in Progress

I generally spend way too much time looking online for things to make than I do actually making anything.

That being said, I actually have been working on a few corsets, one Victorian and the other two from the Titanic-1910’s-Teens era.

If I ever plan on making a  Downton Abbey-esque type of outfit I will need the proper undergarments! I decided to try out two different teens era corset patterns I found online. Both of the pattern makers/creators/geniuses used vintage corsets to draft the patterns.

The first corset pattern I am using is from the Bridges on the Body blog. The author hosted a  1911 Corset Sew Along that just ended recently. I was too late to join the sew along so I decided to go at it alone.

This is a five panel corset pattern with separate font and back facings. The front facing is part of the center front panel in the original, I changed it because I didn’t want to cut slits in the fabric for the busk. I love the system of notches used in this pattern.

Putting the pattern together involved enlarging the original pattern to fit the scale, and then making adjustments to  fit my personal measurements.   This is my second or third version of the pattern and it is still a work in progress. I had enlarged it originally, to better fit my measurements, only to have it come out too big when I sewed the first mock up. This version is smaller, close to the original size of the scaled up pattern. I sewed the second mock up last night but when I put it on without any bones  it just didn’t sit right. I can’t tell if the sizing is still off or if it just needs to be boned and made out of a firmer material than a light weight cotton. Today I plan to insert some bones in order to better check the fit.

This is the rear view of my second mock up. The only bones I have inserted are in the lacing strips.

Lacing it up by myself was almost comedic, as the front is sewn shut. Frustration may have adversely affected fit!!

I already  think I want to extend the length of this pattern a bit.  I didn’t include a seam allowance on the top and bottom edges and it sits higher on my thighs then I think it should.

The second corset pattern I am working on is from the Festive Attyre  Historic Costuming blog. The author’s article, Reconstructing a Teens Era Corset was originally published on Foundations Revealed*, (as I believe was the original pattern for the Bridges on the Body sew along).

I haven’t made a mock up of this pattern yet. I think I may work on this in class this week. I need to get over to a fabric store and purchase a heavier weight cotton for mock ups.

*Once I finish my first few corsets I am gong to treat myself to a subscription!


Lady Sybil and the Turkish Trousers

I confess, I finally watched Downton Abbey after hearing people talk about it for ages. When Lady Sybil walked into the room wearing  pantaloons at the end of the 4th episode I immediately fell in love with the design.

I decided I would really like to re-create this outfit, and after looking at pictures, pausing the episode a million times (not fun to do when watching Netflix through a Wii!) I think I have it partially figured out. To me it looks like a set of harem style pants with an overlay on one leg in a lighter color that crosses over the front. I am pretty confident I can pull something off. The top of the outfit is what will give me all of the trouble, as it was created from a large embroidered panel. I do not embroider, so I hope I will be able to find a large piece if trim to do something with.

While doing research I came across this lovely article with the Downton Abbey costume designer Susanah Buxton. She actually mentions the outfit!

I also started a board on pinterest for the project.

I found some pretty crinkled georgette on sale at Fashion Fabric Club site (my first foray into ordering fabric online) and am patiently waiting for it to arrive. The fabric in the original pants is smooth, but I think what I picked out will suffice.