Last night I spent a lot of time working on corset related projects. I do not know why I thought it was a good idea to make my first Victorian corset with an outer fashion layer of polyester brocade. The whole process is a nightmare. I assumed that since I am using a strength layer of coutil, with internal bone casing and a floating liner the poly brocade would not cause many problems. I was very very wrong. I only interfaced the front panel pieces..next time I will interface ALL pieces or flat-line them to cotton. After everything was cut and methodically layed out, I installed the hook part of the busk. It looked great, I was quite proud of the even stitching and everything. I then went to install the knob side of the busk, and realized I had installed the hook side upside down.
I cried a little bit inside.
I didn’t feel like cutting new panels (I have very little usable interfacing left) so I carefully took the trusty seam ripper to the seams and got the busk installed properly. Of course it does not looks as nice as it did originally! Installing the knob side was a nightmare. Every hole I poked with my awl split the brocade horribly, and I noticed matching lines on both of my side front panels where the fabric is distorted. I am assuming it was like that when I cut out the pieces and I just didn’t notice. Oh well, lesson learned. Cheap materials = bad results! I think the finished corset will look rather nice, so I am going to keep on with it. If anything I will wear at work during Halloween (one of the benefits to working at a place with a costume mansion).
Here is the complete busk inserted, properly this time.
This is where I ended my work last night, with the two side front panels attached:
I can always gut it for its insides at a future date!